Jana's Reviews > Father's Day: A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son

Father's Day by H.G. Bissinger

Jul 31, 12

Read in July, 2012

This was a pretty quick read and helped me to learn that I really am not wild about reading on an iPad, but nonetheless it's a great book with a gentle reminder that before we can love others around us we most certainly need to learn to love ourselves- warts and all.

True story describes a father who is certain that if he takes his autistic son with him on a cross-country trip by car that he will be able to get into his head and heart and behind the wall of what seemed to the father to be a rather shallow way of connecting to the world.

What he really learns is what a coward he has always been even while he hid behind the shield of fatherhood and "doing anything for his son," and that there are more ways to "see and feel" the world then through our own perspectives.

A poignant and lovely read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Father's Day.

message 1: by Norm (new)

Norm Davis Thing I like about reading from a tablet (vs Nook) is on older classics that I struggle with (language vocabulary &tc) is I can download the MP3s or m4bs from Librovox and listen to the book while reading along. Old "study better college trick" -- use as many senses as possible. Anyway I save the tablet for those (Emma currently) I would otherwise struggle with without the addition of audio. Just a thought.