Shelly Wright's Reviews > The Yard

The Yard by Alex Grecian

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery
Read from July 31 to August 05, 2012

The book is set in London, 1889 (a year after Jack the Ripper’s last incident). The characters include Scotland Yard detectives, a forensic science pioneer, a serial killer, two unhinged prostitutes, an abducted child, a dead child, Victorian womenfolk in all their helpless glory, and a few seedy chaps lurking of the fringes. The dialogue is weak, and the characters are pretty two-dimensional. Overcooked dramatic irony drips from the pages and the reader squirms with frustration when both the good guys and the bad guys repeatedly miss opportunities, overestimate their understanding the situation, botch breaks in the case, or simply stumble into perilous circumstances. Grecian’s London, at the end of the 19th century, is no place I would want to visit, but makes for a disturbing backdrop for murder and mayhem. I would put this book in the lurid, ludicrous, guilty pleasure category. A fun read, but not for anyone looking for great prose, meaningful insights, or inspiring characters.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yard.

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve If you don't mind a recommendation, I really, really liked one called The Crimson Petal and the White set in London just a short time before this one. Everything you said that made The Yard sound unexceptional was a strength in the Faber book. (Here I go proselytizing again. You made the mistake of engaging me, Shelly.)

Shelly Wright Steve wrote: "If you don't mind a recommendation, I really, really liked one called The Crimson Petal and the White set in London just a short time before this one. Everything you said that made The Yard sound ..."

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. No need to worry about your "proselytizing." I'm already a convert! I almost always concur with your reviews. :-)