Sarah's Reviews > The Changeling Sea

The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip

Nov 18, 2008

did not like it
Read in January, 2009

Didn't really like this. I couldn't get involved in the story, couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what might happen next. Of course it could be argued that this book is aimed at a much younger audience than me - but I've recently decided that this is NO EXCUSE. I've read scores of books for this age group in which the author grabs the reader's attention, no matter their age, from the first line, and maintains a stranglehold on it for the entire book.

But not in this one. The heroine, Peri, appeared to have had her personality surgically removed at birth. She spent most of the book drifting around in a listless and vaguely depressed manner, reacting to the supernatural happenings around her without much surprise or interest and never washing her hair. The magic in the story was the vague, convenient sort that I find highly irritating - to me it says that the author didn't feel like expending effort by inventing some rules for the way magic will work in her imaginary world and sticking to them. She just uses the magic as a handy plot device when she needs something to happen, to save her the effort of thinking up a logical reason for the event.

I don't know, for some reason I kept picturing Patricia McKillip thinking, "oh, blah, my publisher's insisted I write ANOTHER dull fantasy novel for children… ugh. What can I do this time?" And then scrawling the entire thing one afternoon whilst feeling a bit sleepy and lethargic after a big pub lunch, just to keep Jan Smith from Firebird Books off her back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changeling Sea.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Josie Sarah, the books I recommend to you, you either LOVE...or hate, and write SCATHING reviews about! And I never know which it will be! I'm afraid I haven't quite figured out your reading taste yet. Oh well, better luck next time, eh?

Sarah Sorry! If it helps, I didn't actually HATE this book, just found a couple things about it annoying and couldn't really get excited about it... in general I think I just find it easier to express things I don't like about books than to say why exactly I like them.