Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > The Wishing Spell

The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

Aug 02, 12

Read from July 31 to August 02, 2012

The Good Stuff
•I was extremely surprised by how well written it is, won't lie wasn't expecting much, but it really is well done. This youg man is a talented storyteller - no fair though - I mean seriously - the guy can sing, act and write - ah well congrats Mr Colfer very well done
•Lovely creative twist on the various fairy tale stories
•Some very wise observations on life
•Delightfully funny
•Fast moving and exciting
•Just so much fun to read, think this will be wonderful for the young bookworm out there -- I would have adored this as a kid
•Will be definitely recommending this one. Have already passed on my second copy to the little girl 3 doors down
•The siblings are very likeable and act like siblings would - some of the dialogue between the two is just plain delightful
•The illustrations in the arc are nice and my copy is signed, but I still think I will buy a copy of the finished product for my boys (had two ARC's from BEA)

The Not So Good Stuff
•drags a wee bit at times
•pretty predictable if you are an older reader -- but for the suggested age range it is perfect

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"I've never met a person I didn't learn something from!" Grandma said. "Even the most monotonous people will surprise you. Remember that."

"What was I supposed to tell Mom when she got home? Hi Mom, hope you had a good day at work. Alex fell through a book. By the way, what's for diner? Give me a break!"

"It's Rapunzel's tower!" Alex said., and her eyes became a little misty at the sight of it.

"Are you seriously crying?" said Conner, who was still on the ground.

“The world will always choose convenience over reality. It's easier to hate, blame, and fear than it is to understand. No one wants the truth; they want entertainment.”

Who Should/Shouldn't Read
•This is the perfect book for the 8-10 yr old bookworm - it will be one of their favorites
•Adult will get a kick out of it as well
•Fans of Glee should enjoy as well

4.25 Dewey's

I recieved a copy at BEA and my copy is signed by Chris Colfer (Thanks to Teri and Cammy for getting me a spot)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishing Spell.

08/01/2012 page 140

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolin (new)

Carolin Oh, this book sounds sooo sweet.

Jennifer Rayment C_ wrote: "Oh, this book sounds sooo sweet."

I am about 200 pages in and I really enjoy it. Very impressed with his ability to tell a story. Perfect for kids 8+ (and enjoyable enough for adults to read too)