Lani's Reviews > Betrayed

Betrayed by P.C. Cast

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: chicklit, fantasy, kids, kindle
Read on July 01, 2012

These are generally just trashy YA paranormal romance, but are GREAT for some brain candy. The main character, Zoey, is often rather obnoxious, but I feel like the teenage characters are pretty believable. None of the books have been quite as gleefully bad as the first with its explanations of 'vamp celebrities' and frequent 'we aren't goths' defensiveness. But they're quick, and these were free, and I continue to tear through them.

I DO take issue with the constant use of 'ho-ish' to describe various different behaviors. Zoey gets WAY caught up into slut-shaming, which is not really a habit I want to encourage in young girls. There are already some pretty harsh consequences of sexual behavior in the books, which annoys me. If you're writing racy scenes into your YA book, it seems disengenuous to try to 'scare' readers out of doing racy stuff themselves. At least 'there are consequences to your actions' is better than having the protagonist constantly refer to any sexual thought or action as ho-ish, including her own. It seems particularly annoying in a matriarchical society that explicitly treats its 'fledglings' as adults in other ways - allowing alcohol and being emancipated minors.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayed.