Caroline's Reviews > 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy

'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy by Leslie Langtry

Jul 31, 2012

Read in July, 2012

There's a scene in this book in which the heroine is so awestruck by the handsome man who sits down at her Borders coffee-corner table that she ends up sprinkling salt in her latte.

That scene could serve as a metaphor for the entire book, which is an astonishing and unlikely mix of funny, fast-paced, chick-lit set against a totally off-the-wall background that could have come directly from a superhero comic.

Ginny Bombay is a widowed mother of a cute daughter. She's also a member of a family that has specialised in assassination for thousands of years, each child being initiated at the age of five, trained in the lethal arts, and obliged to make their first hit at fifteen.

Two story lines intertwine: Ginny's infatuation with Diego, the professional bodyguard she met in Borders, and her involvement with her family affairs. The two story lines come together and sour Ginny's relationship with Diego, but all ends well.

The ancient family of secret assassins provided both tension and comedy, but despite a total suspension of disbelief, one story element was too much to swallow. For a professional assassin who takes meticulous care in all her hits, and is aware of the penalty of prompt execution for any infringement of the family code, Ginny immediately blabs top-secret information to her sister and then to most of her relatives, presumably putting all of them at risk of sudden death.

This incongruity dropped my rating from five to four. Otherwise 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy is a marvellous tongue-in-cheek romp with a delightfully ebullient middle-aged protagonist.

Interesting that Ms Langtry (like several other authors) chose a title that puns on the mondegreen version of Jimi Hendrix's lyric, not the original. But then once the mondegreen went viral, even Jimi began to sing the incorrect version—I saw him do so live, which just goes to show my age. (So what's wrong with being a geriatric hippy, huh?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy.