Hannah's Reviews > The Only Gold

The Only Gold by Tamara Allen

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-i-own, historical-fiction, male-male-romance, read-2012, romance
Read from August 11 to 14, 2012

This book was such a wonderful surprise. I first heard about it from Sunita's glowing review at Dear Author. At that time, I decided I wouldn't enjoy it because (a) it's a historical, and I'm not a big fan of historicals, and (b) it's about two bank employees, and what could possibly be more boring than banking? But when I found out recently that this book is available for Amazon Prime members to borrow, I decided to try it. I ended up buying it before I was halfway finished, because I already knew this was a book I'd want to re-read.

The Only Gold is beautifully written, and the characters are very well-drawn. At first Jonah is a frustrating character; he is very rigid and paranoid in general, and most particularly about the management of the bank where he works as assistance cashier. As the story progresses, he gradually develops into a much more reasonable, open, and passionate character. Reid is easy to like from the beginning, even viewed through Jonah's critical eyes. I love the way their relationship slowly develops from enmity, to friendship, to love. Their romance is very satisfying, despite the fact that the sexual content is much tamer than I usually prefer.

My only major complaint with The Only Gold is with the pacing. The first third of the book moves slowly. It is dominated by Jonah's disappointment at being passed over for a coveted promotion, and by his suspicion and hostility towards Reid, who is hired for the job Jonah wanted. Since the whole book is from Jonah's perspective, it's a bit of a chore to read until Jonah finally starts getting over his resentment. The middle is probably the strongest part of the book, as it features most of the best scenes with Jonah and Reid. In contrast to the first two thirds, which have a leisurely pace, the ending is almost frenetic. Too much happens too quickly, and without enough foreshadowing to prepare the reader for the change in tone. Also, some of the events which take place in the last third of the book strain the limits of suspension of disbelief. But even with its pacing issues, this is still one of the best books I have read all summer. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Only Gold.

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I'll add it to my to-read list.

Hannah Carrie wrote: "I'll add it to my to-read list."

Yay!