Roger's Reviews > Creole Belle

Creole Belle by James Lee Burke

M_50x66
Aug 06, 12

Read from July 31 to August 05, 2012

I find it amusing that many revieweres find it necessary to retell and list the plot line of any revgiewes they write while not giveing up just what it is that they likes or disliked about the book. I read other's reviewes to find out what works for folks.
Mr. Bruke does not disappoint and his first person narrative sets you see what each character is seeing and absorbing. I like his plot development and he keeps the reader engaged. It is much like listening to the 1812 overture. You know the soft part with the violins is just a pause before the wondorous crashing end. So it is with this story. You see the sense of doom slowly grow, and a few surprises pop up before the frenetic ending. This like many of his other works leaves you sitting and thinking long after you read the final page.
This one is a little long and he waxes poetic in many places, but,to me,it is to enhance the sense of place.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creole Belle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dottie (new) - added it

Dottie Hall Roger I agree with you on the retelling of the entire story line. Perhaps that is why I review so few books, I have no desire to follow the mainstream on here and write what I consider a short book report or synopsis of the story. I am currently reading this story, but started it out while otherwise preoccupied, so I my impressions have been that the first chapters skipped around alot. I looked at the reviews to see if it was my impression that was off, and I'm glad to say it must be. I was just getting into the book but feel I missed some good feelings of it, so I'll start again in a day or so and enjoy it this time. Glad to see someone else feels as I do about the other reviews!