Sharmila's Reviews > The Knitting Circle

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

Aug 12, 12

Read from July 31 to August 12, 2012

I think you have to be a knitter to really understand this book...and I am a knitter I realize, and I really liked the book. It also came to me at the right moment. It captures the perfect in way in which counting knits and purls and stitches and rows can make the world seem steady and simple, even in the most complicated times in which life feels highly unpredictable, unsteady, and unfair. Some may feel like the story minimizes the pain of these characters or is trite in stating you can cope with tragedy by crafting....but I feel it highlights how important it is sometimes, when everything else goes off course and seems out of your control, to remember that there is still some stuff that remains in your control. If you spend the time putting the stitches in and following the pattern, you will make something beautiful. Ann Hood captures how all our lives have struggles and it's all about how quickly and easily we can pick the dropped stitches back up, complete the design, and then pick the next project.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knitting Circle.