Book Twirps's Reviews > Between You & Me

Between You & Me by Marisa Calin

Aug 08, 12

Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

When Phyre develops feelings for her new drama teacher, it takes her by surprise. She's never had feelings for someone of the same sex before, and she's not quite sure what to make of it. These new feelings unleash a barrage of questions which Phyre takes up with "you", her best friend, who is dealing with their own feelings for Phyre. It's a curious little love triangle, which on the surface was sweet, realistic, and handled well (in context) by the author.

This book is definitely unique, not so much in the story, but in it's execution and the way it is written. Unfortunately, for me, this was what hampered my enjoyment of the book. The entire story is written in screenplay format, and while I found that extremely creative, especially seeing as how the book deals with theatre and film, I also felt it distanced me from the characters, and the voice. I can see why Ms. Calin used this approach, as it is probably something Phyre would do -- how she would write her own story -- but it felt like it placed a wall between me and the characters.

I am a huge theatre nerd (acting and directing) and I've read plenty of scripts, and while Ms. Calin's style followed the script layout well, it just didn't work for me. I enjoyed the story, the characters and the way Ms. Calin handled "you". The reader never really knows if "you" is male or female. I also liked how she handled the whole student/teacher relationship. The story isn't so much about a romantic relationship between the two of them, but more of a teen girl coming to terms with feelings she doesn't understand. It's a great premise, I just wish I had connected on a deeper level with the overall story and characters. For me, it was a good story, and an interesting concept that didn't grab me the way I'd hoped it would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between You & Me.