Nicole's Reviews > Purge

Purge by Sarah Darer Littman

Mar 10, 2014

bookshelves: best-ya-fiction, best-heroines, 2012-books, heroines-to-look-up-to, make-it-into-a-movie, 4-stars
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2012

Purge intrigued me. What goes through the mind of a teenage girl suffering from bulimia, an eating disorder? Young people having eating disorders are so common now where image is so important and everyone strives for that vision of perfection.

This issue is so close to many of us young adult's hearts. We find this so relatable with all the pressure to be perfect instead of accepting who we are.

Janie is admitted at Golden Slopes for bingeing and bulimia, she hates throwing up so why does she do it and how does a accomplished girl like her fall so low? The reader discovers as they go through the novel. Janie has so many issues in her and she is so afraid of admitting things to her parents because she thinks they will blame her. She learns many things from the lovable patients at the facility as well. She makes friends who support her which is nice.

She went through alot and although she is reluctant to allow the nurses and doctors to help her, much less speak up. She eventually opens her heart and learns to speak her mind. She learnt so much and I loved how inspiring this book is. It is so utterly realistic for teenagers and sends a positive message which I appauld. A stunning effort to get word out about a very misunderstood issue. Brilliant.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purge.