mark's Reviews > Blind Submission

Blind Submission by Debra Ginsberg

May 29, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit, relationships
Recommended for: writers & book lovers
Read in November, 2008

Chick Lit, which goes like this: Chick on the periphery of an industry (in this book--the world of literary agents) tells about industry while struggling to "make it" in the world, and finds true love with another peripheral player. Lots of fashion and/or food descriptions as well as insight into the industry. I happen to like the genre (I skim the fashion and food parts and double read the sex scenes. I'm a guy, after all.) Being a writer who disdains the whole concept of middlemen (sales agents) and the authority (Editors, publishers, & their whores) I found a lot I liked in this story. The author wrote an entertaining story with a fun mystery and lots of unlikable characters; and, I think, was laughing at herself while writing it. She also foreshadowed her second novel, "The Gift," which I will definitely read. Ginsberg's dedication says all you need to know about the story: "For all the writers who have yet to be published and for the book lovers who will one day read their work." Not great writing but good enough, clever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Submission.