Susanne's Reviews > The Empty Glass

The Empty Glass by J.I. Baker

Jul 31, 2012

it was ok
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

As a noir take on the death of Marilyn Monroe, the story chugs along well, a right little page-turner, in fact, keeping the reader curious as to what will happen next all the way to the end of the story.

The only comment I would make on this aspect is that the writing style interferes with the characterization. We’re distanced from our hero, and in a noir you really need to be inside your protagonist’s head, feeling with him and cheering him on (or not, whatever the case may be).

Unfortunately, the odd narration technique not only includes lots of repetition, it makes it difficult to connect with our hero, and you end up not really feeling for any of the characters. Except for maybe despising the fictitious versions of several real people who are very evil in this book, but currently dead so I guess they don’t care.

As a mystery...don’t think of this book as a mystery. Think too much on that aspect and the plot falls apart. (One of the major clues is a sheer impossibility.)

So. I read to the end and I was entertained. I had to consciously work to suspend my disbelief at points, but I was entertained. For me, it was okay. If you have an interest in the mystery surrounding Marilyn Monroe’s death, I’d definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Empty Glass.