Deb's Reviews > A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller

A Year in the World by Frances Mayes

Jul 31, 2012

After disliking the movie, I was encouraged to read "Under the Tuscan Sun" and loved it. I found "Bella Tuscany" a couple years later and also enjoyed that read, so I had no problem buying "A Year in the World" for my Kindle.

For me, it was worth it. We are travelers and have found every way of traveling imaginable so it was great to see another travelers perspective. I love enjoying the food, coffee, and sites of another country... but I also enjoy the days of sitting in an apartment and wishing all the other tourists would go away, so I could see the people in their "natural habitat."

Relax people... it's a travel book. Her passions might be different than yours. One of the best parts of the book is how it's set off by chapters. If you don't like what she's telling you about one place, move on to the next. Maybe by the time you're done reading the parts you like, you'll be able to come back and enjoy bits and pieces of the parts you didn't.

Travel is about growing. Are you flexible? Can you handle different peoples? Religions? Languages? Foods? You don't have to change your basic beliefs by understanding other people's cultures...or the way other's travel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in the World.