Jenny's Reviews > Spookygirl: Paranormal Investigator

bookshelves: completed-in-2012
Read in October, 2012

Review originally posted to my blog, A Bookish Co-Op

You had me at hello...

So from the moment I saw Spookygirl at the bookstore I knew I had to have it. The title alone screamed me. Ghost books are my favorite in YA and Spookygirl isn't your just typical ghost story.

For starters, this book is fun and light. It's not all dark and broody and there's no creep-factor. Ok, that last bit is a lie, but not really. There are a few moments where stuff is kind of like woah. You know, a creepy disembodied voice asking if you want to know what it feels like to drown, but totally nothing to lose sleep or waste electricity over (unless you're reading of course, I mean by all means, READ ON!) And I appreciate that. Who says all paranormal stories have to parallel The Exorcist?

And on that note, I TOTALLY want my own Buster. No, that is not a cool gadget for ghost hunting. Buster is Violet's "pet" poltergeist (DUDE!!!!!) who acts like a neurotic dog on mass amounts of caffeine. WANT! Wait, I have something similar, it's called a Dachshund... still how cool would it be to have Buster?! He's introduced in the first couple of pages and I totally squealed in the car from delight. I craved the scenes with Buster, he is just the greatest idea ever. He's basically this invisible energy that haunts Violet's family, loves his squeaky cheesburger toy, playing pranks, and eating oatmeal cookies, Oh and he's even crate trained. Let me say this again, Greatest. Idea. Ever.

Another thing I liked is there are no spells, incantations, holy water, circles of salt and pentagrams. Instead it was talking while dodging flying objects and the like. Sometimes I like the simple reasoning, 'You're dead, that sucks get over it and GTFO' instead of the complicated go to of hocus pocus and salty, holy-watered down virgin blood.

So, I don't want to say much else because really you need to read it to understand the pure enjoyment of reading this book and well a few parts are easily predictable. Anna Dressed In Blood will always be my top favorite Ghostly book, but sometimes you need that fun, light read too and that's where Spookygirl comes in. Violet even reminds me of Cas from ADIB. I definitely also recommend this book to fans of Stacey Kade The Ghost and The Goth series.

I haven't heard if there's going to be a sequel yet, but my fingers are tightly crossed.

P.S. I adore that cover AND the story takes place in Florida, my home state. Even more WIN!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spookygirl.