Tiffany (About to Read)'s Reviews > Destiny

Destiny by Gillian Shields

Aug 06, 12

Read from July 30 to August 02, 2012

Destiny is filled with the same magic, mystery, and excitement that makes the rest of the Immortal series so awesome. I was a bit taken aback by the point of view because it is told from the perspective of all three girls, and I was only expecting to read from Helen’s point of view.

Even though the story is not exclusively told by Helen, we get a much deeper look into her character. Unsurprisingly, she is lonely and wounded by both her past and her mother. It really was heartbreaking to read some of her emotional scenes.

Often times while reading the Immortal series, I forget that it takes place in the 21st century. Since Wyldcliff forbids all forms of technology, this is really easy to do. As I was reading Destiny, however, I realized that a big part of the reason that I feel like I am reading about girls in the Victorian era is the way they talk. The language is just so old fashioned! It would make more sense to have this be historical paranormal or to just write it using the modern way of speaking. That said, the writing itself is truly beautiful.

Gillian Shields delivers a satisfactory and surprising conclusion to the Immortal series. It was refreshing to learn more about all of the girls, but it was definitely time for their story to come to an end. Destiny is a captivating read with breath-taking prose and is definitely a must for fans of Gothic literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny.