Meghan's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

3207666
Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: bookclub, mystery
Read from November 25 to December 03, 2013

I can't help but wonder what I would think of this book if I'd ever actually read Conan Doyle's stories (I know, I know. They are on my to-read list though). Overall I enjoyed the read, but Mary Russell does get slightly annoying simply because she is so brilliant and perfect. (Also, I'm not really a fan of the preface which sets up the book as an actual memoir of Mary Russell as a historical figure). I'm also quite annoyed with the portrayal of loyal Dr. Watson (probably more so after becoming a big fan of Martin Freeman's version in the BBC Sherlock). I was also not overly fond of history/theology that came along with the out of country detour - seemed slightly heavy-handed at pushing beliefs upon the reader. But I digress, there are classic Holmesian traits of deduction I found fascinating but I just didn't seem to care too much about the main 'case'. The preceding case, which in a way set-up the main case, was much more interesting. The book did hold my interest to the end, but doesn't make me want to jump into the next one right away.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

11/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading