Anne Osterlund's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Aug 09, 12

Why is everyone around me crazy?

Bitterblue is the queen of Monsea. But what does that really mean? Endless paperwork. And sitting in on trials that make no sense for criminals that have lost their minds.

Her kingdom is waking up from a nightmare.

At least she hopes it is awakening.

But when Bitterblue sneaks out of the palace in search of answers, she only finds more questions. Why does her kingdom need a book of words? How can a graceling not know his own grace? Why would anyone steal a gargoyle? And who is trying to kill her new friends?

Kristin Cashore’s third novel is a lovely, deep study in character. The character of Bitterblue. And of her country. And of what it takes to survive true trauma. A beautifully long and blissfully enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nɪɴᴀ (last edited Jul 30, 2012 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nɪɴᴀ I hope you enjoy reading this! I really liked it :)

message 2: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly Jealous! I loved Graceling!! One of my favorite books everr

message 3: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle I hope you enjoy it :)

Anne Osterlund It's going very well. I completely agree with Bitterblue in her view of mundane paperwork:)

message 5: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana I didn't really like bitterblue as a heroine, after katsa and then fire, i'd say bitterblue was a bit of a letdown. She was a bit whiney, which bothered me. She was also insanely fixated on her father, which i undeestand, after experiencing what she has experienced i probably would too, but it didn't make for a very exciting plot.

message 6: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana what do you think?

Shannon Loved all Cashore's books :) Hope you enjoyed them!

Anne Osterlund Hi Shannon,

Yes, I've enjoyed them all very much! Especially Fire. If you like them, I HIGHLY recommend Tamora Pierce's novels, especially The Song of the Lioness Quartet that begins with Alanna, the First Adventure.

Anne
(who is not-so-patiently waiting for Saf to pull himself together)

Anne Osterlund Yep, I loved it. The last page made me cry.

message 10: by Book (new) - added it

Book Uh oh, Ana. So Bitterblue was annoying? I hated Fire, but loved Graceling... I worry about this volume now. Either way the series has been very mixed

Liana Hey Anne! Glad you liked it. (:

Shannon Thanks Anne, will add Pierce to my list :) Hoping Cashore has more in store for us...I need more! Haha!