Ridley's Reviews > Saga, Volume 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Nov 25, 12

bookshelves: paper, 4-star, read-2012, comics-graphic-novels
Read in November, 2012

When a book opens with a childbirth scene and the first line is the mother yelling, “Am I shitting? It feels like I'm shitting!” how could I not read on?

This is mostly a prologue, like many volume 1 trades are, but I'm hooked. From the kickass Alana to her laid-back husband Marko to the ethically-complex bounty hunter The Will and his sidekick Lying Cat (a cat that says only "Lying" when someone isn't speaking the truth) to the wide variety of side characters, I want to see more of this universe caught up in a war between Alana's home planet and the moon Marko is from.

That a copy of a romance novel, complete with clinch-style cover, looks to play a role in the effort to hunt down Alana and Marko only sweetens the deal.
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saga, Volume 1.

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine There's no ebook for it (as it's a comic that's not got all six issues in this trade released yet) but you can get the single digital issues (which are released same day as print, btw) from Comixology.

message 2: by Merrian (new)

Merrian It is sitting on my coffee table TBR as I type. I liked 'Y the last man' and was sold by the breast feeding, gun wielding cover

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane I thought the artwork was badass- but just the first sentence has grabbed me into tracking down a copy!

Nicole I loved this. The issues are available on Comixology and really look fabulous on the iPad.