Michelle 's Reviews > The White Devil

The White Devil by Justin Evans

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: dft, young-adult, read-2012, paranormal, fiction
Read from August 11 to 13, 2012

Review posted on Dark Faerie Tales.

I have never read anything by Justin Evans, but when I was given The White Devil, I was definitely intrigued. This genre is outside of my reading comfort zone, but didn’t stop me from admiring the graphically haunting cover. The White Devil was the cause of eerie goosebumps and restless nights, but I had a hard time connecting with a few of the story’s elements.

Andrew Taylor has been taken away from the comforts of America, his home in Connecticut, his high school, and everything familiar to him. His father enrolled him in a British boarding school, Harrow School, an all-boys school that is full of centuries-old traditions and prestige. Andrew’s father had one goal in mind, to erase his past mistakes. But they were all wrong. Andrew soon has visions of a ghost, a pale boy from the dark corners of Harrow’s past. Andrew’s life gets worse as dangerous mysteries remain unexplained and he himself is blamed by all of his peers. Andrew turns to a life of isolation, lonely and obsessing over the story for whom the ghost thinks Andrew resembles. Danger lurks in the corners of Harrow School.

It was difficult for me to relate to Andrew, in most aspects, but it has always been difficult for me to relate to male characters. Andrew was troubled and lonely, having fallen into trouble and bad habits. In this last-resort effort, he moves to a prestigious boarding school. This is where I started to disconnect. I sympathized with Andrew, for all of the familial problems, and I definitely related to his loneliness, but it was hard for me to understand this troubled youth. Andrew goes through a lot, in The White Devil, everything more horrifying than the next. And Andrew has a hidden strength. He must have, right? To endure everything he goes through, he definitely has to have strength.

The stereotypes of England play really well with the setting of Harrow School. I was definitely scared just reading the details of Andrew’s new environment. From the mansion that he stays at to the dark halls of Harrow School, there wasn’t a moment that I didn’t hold my breath. Evans is a lyrical genius, blending between the normal and paranormal. It was seamless and realistic, and boy did my imagination run away with it.

The White Devil had perfect pacing for the tone and various scenes of the story. The pacing sped up when needed, and slowed down just when Evans wanted the reader to be attentive. He has this approach to fiction and literature that is captivating and creative, and I will be a fan forever. I enjoyed the characters enough, favoring some more than others. Evans’ dialogue and banter is enjoyable and adds to the details and flaws of his characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Devil.