Tessa's Reviews > Nexus Point

Nexus Point by Jaleta Clegg

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, non-triangle-romance
Read from July 30 to August 06, 2012

I'll start by saying I am not a huge fan of sci-fi or of romance, so this just wasn't the book for me. I read it because I work with the author's husband and he wanted my opinion.

I have a hard time separating my opinion of any novel from the actual quality of the writing but I'll give it a shot. The book felt erratic. Tayvis was nice the rough then has Dace at gunpoint then loves her. I just couldn't keep him straight. He's also the perfectly chiseled male lead in a romance that I don't particularly like. I just don't like Fabio and the like. I just didn't get the feeling of depth from him. Romance requires deep exploration of both the guy and the girl; I got some exploration of Dace and nothing from Tayvis.

The shara and other psychic things were interesting but a bit underdeveloped. Apparently you get more about them in future books, but I would have preferred to get more of it in this book. Then again, this is the beginning of a series, so maybe it's supposed to just be a teaser.

It wasn't always clear who was talking and I think characters occasionally dropped out of scenes they were in, but I may not have been paying close enough attention.

My main problem with the book was that Dace got captured. All the time! Capture was the primary device to move the story along, and that got old after a bit. I didn't feel like Dace usually did much to get herself un-captured either; she just sat around waiting to be rescued. She's not supposed to be helpless, but she felt helpless a lot of the time. Then when she started taking charge in the second half of the book I couldn't be convinced. I did like Dace's occasional spunk, talking back to her captors, etc; I just wanted more of that. I guess I just wanted Dace to be more of a Zoey (Firefly) character.

I also liked the working in of legends like Robin Hood and Merlyn. I would have liked to see more of Will and to get the back story of how Merlyn and the monks evolved into their present cultural beliefs.

I don't regret having read it, but I have a lot more books I'd like to spend my time with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nexus Point.