Dana's Reviews > The Light Tamer

The Light Tamer by Devyn Dawson

Jul 30, 12

Read in July, 2012

It was refreshing to have a paranormal YA book not about vampires, werewolves or ghost the usual genres. I must say I like the mythological twist. I did however think for the age of the individuals that it read a bit young at times and then would shift to almost adult. Other than that the book was good and I will read the next in the sequel.

Caleb was sweet if a bit over the at times and almost desperate which from his description fits more with the original young version of him and not the new and improved. My favorite character besides Jessie's Ms. Gayle was Amber. She was but rough around the edges but her voice stayed true. Jessie had a tendency to obsess about her body and the author I think went into a little more detail than needed on has she was shaped. Grant it this is a personal opinion and preference and does not truly detract from the story. It played into her self image and though she often sounded too childish and then too adult with her personal view of herself it still flowed nicely. It was nice that the author put in her decision to wait. She had a lot to deal with a major move from where she grew up and alcoholic dad whose true reason is delved into later. But in all even though it seemed to move really fast on the relationship end I think the kindness she shows to Amber and the fact she had to face and accept so much in a short time is pretty well taken care of.

The concept was interesting and I certainly look forward to learning more about the light tamers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Tamer.