Kiri's Reviews > Scout's Progress

Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee

As far as I'm concerned, this is Lee and Miller's finest work. The pacing is beautiful, the characters wonderfully portrayed. I find this and "Local Custom" to be far more satisfying reads than the more action-oriented books in their collection; the time we get to spend in the characters' heads, knowing what it is to be Liaden... that truely makes these a step above space opera.

In this book in particular the sequence of events flows very naturally and the dangers feel very real. The obstacles in the way of Daav and Aelliana's relationship are complex and indeed hardly surmountable.

I am OVERJOYED to note that a sequel is soon to be published! THANK YOU, Miller and Lee, for continuing the story of Daav and Aelliana.

The fascinating thing about this, in comparison with "Local Custom", is that there is again a clash of cultures only in this book it is Liaden vs. Liaden rather than Liaden vs. Terran - and in focusing on this aspect of culture the authors tell us so much about these Liadens and how they really do differ in their mode of operation from Terrans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scout's Progress.