Misha Hoo's Reviews > Jaguar Woman: And the Wisdom of the Butterfly Tree

Jaguar Woman by Lynn V. Andrews

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: books-i-learned-from

I read this book for the first time in 1995 when I was new to shamanism and although I was guided to actually seeing the Sisterhood of the Shields in my visioning, I didnt really understand it all. About ten years later I came across the book again at a second hand market in Amsterdam and read it with new eyes...

Jaguar Woman and the Wisdom of the Butterfly Tree is a gripping tale of adventure and initiation which takes the reader deeper and deeper into the shamanic world of altered realities. Lynn V Andrews expertly overlays story upon story so that you find yourself deeply imbedded in the layers of the shamanic dreamtime.

She describes her experiences in a very personal way, often admitting to her own faults and weaknesses and describes what she has learned from her journeys. This is a book which needs to be read from the perspective of personal experience; it is certainly not a 'how to' guide on shamanism nor necessarily a path for others to follow.

There has been a lot of conjecture about how much of her story is 'real', whether any of the encounters described in the book 'actually happened' or whether Lynn V Andrews ever met any 'real' indigenous shaman which, to those who understand shamanism, is hardly the point.

In his book The Way of the Shaman Michael Harner (an anthropologist who really did study with real indigenous shaman) clearly explains that those who know shamanism don't value the outer world and experiences which happen there any more than the inner world of visions. Neither do those who live in shamanic culture differentiate when telling stories whether an experience happened in the outer or inner worlds, since to them it is quite obvious that if for example, a mouse shape-shifted into a bird, it happened in the inner realms.

'Real' and 'not real', 'fact' or 'fiction' are western concepts which hold little value in the shamanic culture, where worlds overlay worlds and each is dreamed into being.

Read with an open mind and a love for all things mysterious, this book is a great adventure!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaguar Woman.