Rachael's Reviews > Dragon's Teeth

Dragon's Teeth by Suzanne van Rooyen

F 50x66
Sep 29, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, 2012-favorites, dystopia, review-copy, reviewed, ebooks-i-own
Read from August 05 to 06, 2012

If you want to see more of my reviews, check out my blog @ Moosubi Reviews! Also check back on August 11 for my tour stop including a repost of this review & an international giveaway for a copy of this book!

Before I start my review, I want to point out what literally my face looked like when I was reading the last pages of the book.

Wait. What. Just. Happened.
*mind blown*

Dragon’s Teeth is a perfect testimony as to why I sometimes venture into the more “Adult” side of fiction – although there’s more death, violence, and only a bit more explicit content, there’s so much more action and twists I wouldn’t expect.

This book is split into three parts – the present, where Detective Cyrus is hired to find the biological parents of a businessman named Benji MacDowell, scenes from 37 years ago that gives a lot more back story, and the present again, where a lot of truth and twists are revealed. Usually I find this format pretty frustrating, especially since a lot of content in the middle may have been skipped. However, in this case, I think this format particularly suits Dragon’s Teeth, and isn’t too confusing because of a different set of characters and setting. It also helped develop a lot of characters and implant a certain ending that I definitely didn’t expect.

The ending, which I keep on mentioning, is actually one of the biggest reasons why I rated this book so highly. I definitely didn’t see it coming, and after looking back, there were slight clues that could have led to it. The eventual loss at the end was also pretty sad for me, since the character really grew on to me, with his personality and huge sacrifices. It was as if once the truth came out, all the pieces of the puzzle came together, and practically exploded in my head. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but as I’m writing this review right now, that was how I felt.

The plot for me was a little slow in the beginning, but it definitely picked up near the middle / late portion of the first part. The mystery and science part of the book was well integrated, and it showed great signs of a dystopic world, which is always a must for me in dystopic fiction, although it's often forgotten. In the second part, there was a lot of action and emotion as well as sympathy on my part. Since it rewinds to thirty-seven years ago, you're introduced to a mostly new set of characters, although I felt I really connected to them as they developed and eventually connected to the "present" of the story.

Overall, The Dragon's Tooth is a fast-paced, cyberpunk novel that may start off slow, but will definitely pick up and shock you in the end. I would highly recommend it to sci-fi fans!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Teeth.