LA Carlson's Reviews > Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West

Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: against-all-odds
Recommended to LA by: read a review
Recommended for: mature readers
Read from July 29 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

For mature readers as some of the descriptions are heart-breaking. While we often read about the repressive regimes from the past; this book is compelling/stunning because it is present day. If you've been following the news of North Korea lately none of this will be surprising but at times I was winching at the descriptions of what Shin In Geun, now known as Shin Dong-hyuk, did to survive throughout much of his life leading up to his incredible escape. Journalist/Reporter Blaine Harden includes footnotes, drawings and pictures to back-up this remarkable story of one young man's fight to survive and eventually prosper when he grew up without love, encouragement or the regular values many of us take for granted and expect to receive as we are growing up. He was beaten, witnessed death on a regular basis, was degraded and devalued as most of the people living in North Korea are in labor/death camps underneath the regime of the Kim family. Hopefully, Shin is continuing the process of healing with the support of Americans and can escape and process the mental anguish he suffered for so many years. The physical scars will always be with him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from Camp 14.