Timothy Ward's Reviews > The Viscount and the Witch

The Viscount and the Witch by Michael J. Sullivan

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories

"Three aspects of Michael’s writing within the first few pages of “The Viscount and the Witch” made me drop all the rest of my books and dive into his Riyria Revelations series. The first aspect was the banter between Royce and Hadrian, a duo of loveable thieves. Royce plays the smooth assassin who would probably be a much worse person if it weren’t for his loyalty to Hadrian, a skilled sword-fighter with a noble heart. I laughed multiple times at how Hadrian wanted to help people, was warned by Royce that it would get them in danger, and then Royce would be proven right. I love the conflict between doing good and the unforeseen consequences, especially for a duo that thrives on formulating a well-thought-out plan prior to acting.

The second aspect of Michael’s writing that attracted me in “The Viscount and the Witch,” and which remains throughout his Riyria books is the puzzle-solving abilities that Royce and Hadrian display.

The third aspect, and one which Michael and I have talked about, is his desire to make the language transparent in order for the story to shine through. His scenes end with a punch, and are pushed along quickly enough so that you can get through the fun parts without being bogged down."

These paragraphs are quoted from my review of Rise of Empire, the second volume in Riyria Revelations. I put these in that review because I believe once you read "The Viscount and the Witch" you will be hooked for the whole series. Enjoy your free short story and some of the best Fantasy out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount and the Witch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Thanks Tim. I've enjoyed our talks and I'm glad you are liking both the short and the novels.