Hildur's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, own, post-apocalyptic, zombies, romance
Read from July 30 to August 05, 2012

Wow, this book was bad.
It actually started our as an interesting read for the first twenty pages when the world of the zombies and R's (the protagonist's) life was described as revolving around feeding and then entertaining himself by going up and down the escalator.
Soon he meets Julie, a human girl, and one of the dullest romance stories that I have ever read begins. None of the characters are interesting. I don't even dislike them, I just don't give a shit. Nothing happens that's worth any notice and the plot was badly told and badly put together. Reading this short 229 page book felt like running a mental marathon, it strained my patience immensely. There hasn't been a zombie book I disliked this much since reading Forest of Hands and Teeth.

I really do hope Isaac Marion's got a day job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

07/30/2012 page 85
36.0% "I've heard some people compare this to Twilight. Hopefully they're wrong and this zombie-romance will be a pleasant surprise, much like Breathers was. The author has already come up with some good, new ideas for his zombie world so I remain hopeful."
08/05/2012 page 201
84.0% "If this book's purpose was making me feel like a zombie then *slowclap*. It's dull and brings out no emotions in me. I don't feel anything for the characters and it's definitely not written in a way that makes me excited enough to want to flip to the next page. These last 38 pages are going to be so hard. Why is this trash being made into a film?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Plaggenborg this review's got spunk

message 2: by Tria (new) - added it

Tria Surprised the whiners haven't complained about this review already. They did on the more recent 1-star. But I read 3-star reviews most, as I find them the most balanced, and I have no attraction to this book. Though Stephenie Meyer blurbing it would put me off most things...

Kevin You did understand the idea of this story right? Because if you didn't that's probably why you didn't like it. I mean I love zombies myself and the idea of the whole having partners thing and there being a zombie virus represented the idea of feeling lonely, empty inside, the idea that there was still people inside those decaying bodies, why do you think there was zombies and bonys?, it was to represent the zombies that had lost hope and no longer could be brought back to life like r was. That’s why bonys didn’t care about what the hell they ate that had a heartbeat, r turned back because he regained his life because he felt a deep emotion when he fell for Julie the idea that he had now found a reason to live, why do you think there was difference between zombies and the way they acted, they still are human but they needed that push in their lives to be able to go back completely to the world of the living. This book was representing through the ideals that we need to find something to live for, that special person or thing that makes us feel alive and if we don’t have that we will die out heartless, cold, and bitter.

Hildur I know you were trying to make me appreciate the book more by showing me its message, and I appreciate that, but I find the message extremely cheesy so if anything, thinking about it has made me dislike the book more.

Ok, sure, that sort of message can be portrayed well but I didn't think the book managed to do that at all. A "good message" (even though we disagree on whether or not we enjoy the message) doesn't make a good book.

I'm still sticking 100% to my review and must respectfully disagree with you.