K.'s Reviews > Out of My Mind

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: kids-young-adult, kids-tween-age
Read on July 29, 2012

WOW!!

If I knew how to make the font size larger for the word WOW, I would.

So rather than summarize, this is a must read for anyone who has someone with cerebral palsy (or really, any kind of disability) in their lives. I think the author was pretty genius in really getting into the reality of what it might be like to be a brilliant mind trapped in a body where the only thing that works correctly is the thumbs. Melody is an incredibly endearing character, one not likely to be forgotten.

To ATLAS members:

I was intrigued by this book before I borrowed it. because I knew it might be a great thing to read so I can be a better friend & mentor to Karina. For anyone in ATLAS reading this, I think it would be a very good idea to read it and have your old-enough kids read it so we can all try to understand what it would be like to be Karina. Although Karina is hugely more functional than Melody, physically, this is how I can imagine things happen in her head. The author very expertly inserted some wisdom in how to treat a person with disabilities, that is, just like any other person, with kindness and real interest. Our ATLAS kids have been absolutely fantastic with Karina so far, but I think this book could help them to be even more understanding...understanding not only of her limitations, but what may be even more important, understanding of her great possibilities.

I look forward to having a really amazing discussion with my 2 oldest after they read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of My Mind.