Dan's Reviews > Holy Bible

Holy Bible by Anonymous

Jul 30, 12

Read from September 01, 1989 to January 01, 1990, read count: 1

Holy Bible: The tale of two gods.

I have always been a fan of Old Testament god. He is the kind of fellow you can believe in. . . or else. Philistine's move into your neighborhood? Don't worry, the big guy has your back. He'll send his favorite son David to cut off two hundred of their foreskins and present them to the then king in exchange for stealing his wife. If that doesn't motivate you to convert to the bible's deity of choice, I don't know what will.

The methods of retribution are creative and unique. Killing cities with fire or the whole disobedient world with a flood lead the way in terms of headcount, but whether it is frogs, locusts, or drought, this dude makes his point: my side or else.

Then you get the new testament. Sure the same old contradictions are there. But this time, the story gets washed through the eyes of people whose grandfathers weren't even born during the events they are writing about. The worst part is that the modern interpretation of who the reader is told to emulate is absolutely offensive. The Jesus portrayed by the gospels is an awful model of how to live your life. He is a model of self-destruction. Why live out your life helping the poor and healing the sick or god forbid being a good example to people? Instead, a life of immolation as a model is chosen. Give until you are dead and don't pursue anything on your own. That is your standard. Live to that. Human's who want to live forever (sigh - when is man going to stop thinking they are anything but finite) are told to emulate a man who choose a path of self-destruction.

Overall this is an angry, confused book written by a bunch of savages who tried to make the world make sense, just like people have done since the beginning of time.

On a side note, for a good time, read Leviticus. Best book of the bible in a landslide. . . if it were a comedy. Taken seriously, it is a scary window into the mindset of the people who follow this tripe. Don't worry though, 99% of them will never read the bible and instead take other people's word on something that they claim is the most important thing in their lives.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Bible.

Sydne This is by far the best review of the bible it have ever read

Sydne I have ever read*

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Sydne wrote: "I have ever read*"

glad you liked it. I wondered if anyone would ever read it.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Well, this was... Interesting. I have one question for you: why is the bible 'tripe'? (Also, are you British?)

message 5: by Dan (last edited Sep 11, 2014 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Andrew wrote: "Well, this was... Interesting. I have one question for you: why is the bible 'tripe'? (Also, are you British?)"

Tripe seems about right as a description. For the very few who actually read it, it is in fact legible, but due to massive contradictions, it is an awful read. Tripe is in fact edible but I also would not recommend it.

My nationality has no bearing on the fact that this book causes people to react violently and awfully.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Uuuuhhhh. Thanks. I'm glad that you think so. I appreciate it.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Really.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Really.

David Miles Would you mind clarifying some of these contradictions you mentioned?

Thanks,