Nancy's Reviews > Home Front

Home Front by Kristin Hannah

Jul 30, 12

Read in July, 2012

I think I'm done with Kristin Hannah. I used to see her books as great chick-y reading: marital ups and downs, personal crises, kids in trouble yada yada yada. But the last couple have been major disappointments. I don't think it's Hannah's writing or plotting. I think it's me.

As I was reading, I felt continuously yanked around by the author's Big Important Points: Military families must do their duty, even when one spouse is inclined to be liberal. Spouses must face their interpersonal problems and save their marriages. Children are mouthy but good at heart. War is terrible but those who serve are heroes. Who sometimes lose their lives. And on and on.

There is no subtlety in Hannah's writing. The reader never gets to make up her own mind about characters and events-- or find her own path through the story. The characters don't feel nuanced. The action is predictable and the emotions feel forced. And--Hannah has an annoying way of sticking in descriptive details (the wallpaper, the shoes) that slow up the plotting.

I see that readers love this book. I think that has more to do with the manipulative plotting and simple, beat-'em-over-the head messages than with quality writing, complex characters or interesting story lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Front.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia I think I read one of her books at one time or another...actually, maybe it was Jennifer Weiner or something like that? Can you detect the sarcasm in my voice? Sorry, I couldn't resist. These chick-lit books just don't grab me...at all. I like books with a plot and complex characters, warts and all. I hate to read something and feel that if I review it I'll make the author cry. Those types of books just set my teeth on edge. But each to their own, I guess. As for now, I'll take your word for it and not waste my time. Thanks. G