Sara's Reviews > Secrets and Seductions

Secrets and Seductions by Francine Pascal

Jul 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, adult-fiction, novellas
Read on July 29, 2012

My one complaint about this series is that the installments keep getting shorter and shorter! What's up with that? It's not like there wasn't room to throw in more characters development or plot twists or even bring back other characters from Sweet Valley High. But at least this installment did not have the lagging, boring subplot that the previous novella did. This one barely featured Steven at all! I guess I could also complain about the stupid decisions all the characters continually make and all the soap opera-y drama throughout the entirety of it... but hey, it's Sweet Valley! You don't read these books expecting good, rational decisions from the characters.

So, let's recap. Bruce has had formal charges brought against him and instead of facing them, he decides to flee the country. Annie Whitman, his lawyer, tracks him down, all the while reminiscing about all the good times they'd had in his Porsche in high school (so awesome!).

Back in Sweet Valley, Liz has decided to believe Bruce and work toward helping prove his innocence (it's about time!), but she doesn't want him to know that she's helping because that would be... smart? I don't know. Of course, because it's Liz and she has to be everyone's friend, she can't help but also sorta believe Bruce's accuser. She gets Aaron Dallas to help her with undercover work, which involves going to the office of Bruce's rival and flirting with the receptionist. There, Aaron immediately names the designer of the receptionist's scarf, yet she assumes he is straight and has a girlfriend. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it made me laugh.

Meanwhile, Lila's scheme to get Ken back has worked, but because lies always catch up to you, her lies catch up to her. I love the fact that she's a reality TV star and that all this drama is playing out on TV. It also helps Caroline Pearce, the resident gossip in SVH, since she can now sell stories about Lila to TMZ and the like. I feel like this plot was given more page time in this installment (finally!), but like everything else, it could have been stretched out a little more.

Jessica's almost back to her usual self, though she's being undermined at work and too sad about Todd to fight back. I assume that must be coming in a future book - or so I hope! Because Todd's a complete moron, he's let his former colleague (who was fired for plagiarizing Jessica) move in with him, knowing that she's interested in him. Like I said, Todd's a moron. I can't believe that he seemed dreamy when I was twelve. Anyway, this woman is causing more friction between Todd and Jessica because Jessica knows she's there but Todd doesn't know that Jessica knows. Ahh, Sweet Valley. Todd and Jessica have both made so many dumb relationship mistakes throughout this series alone, so perhaps they do belong together.

This series is so ridiculous, but I am totally loving seeing all these old SVH characters as adults and how crazy their lives are. Yes, I'm constantly amazed at the stupid decisions characters are making, but I'm hooked nonetheless!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets and Seductions.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Sounds like it's a good thing Todd and Jessica don't have kids! :)

Sara Oh but they DO have a kid!!! They have a young son!!!