Jon's Reviews > Grimspace

Apr 08, 2013

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, read-in-my-40s, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Shannon
Read from April 20 to 22, 2009 , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimspace.

04/20/2009 page 1
04/20/2009 page 27
8.65% "Starting Chapter 5 - and what a ride the first four chapters were!"
04/20/2009 page 64
20.51% "Chapter 12 - still non-stop action and for once the first person PoV is working for me."
04/21/2009 page 85
27.24% "Chapter 16 - Jax learns the plan - hybrid humans designed to conquer the Corp monopoly on jumping."
04/21/2009 page 134
42.95% "Chapter 24 - March is a surrogate papa"
04/21/2009 page 171
54.81% "Chapter 30 - March and Jax finally indulge each other."
04/22/2009 page 215
68.91% "Arrival at Gehanna with injured March and one less crew member."
04/22/2009 page 267
85.58% "Crash landing on New Terra to avoid Corp bounty hunters and grey men."
show 1 hidden update…

Jensownzoo Good to hear another recommendation for this book. It has almost worked its way up to the top of my TBR list. I got the book at 50% off when the Waldenbooks were closing, so there's really nothing holding me back except for time and circumstance!

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Mooch Alert! I posted this to my BookMooch inventory last night. It's unreserved currently but is listed on several moocher's wishlists.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) It sounds fabulous. The problem is, I need to come up with books of my own to put up there to trade! :)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I forgot to mention, I think it's interesting you don't generally like books in the first person. I think I prefer them and most of my writing is that way nowadays. Do you think you could help me understand why? It might help me in my own writing.

message 5: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon It's probably because I prefer to know everything (third person omnitient). :) If it's first person, I only have that character's point-of-view and it can be unreliable. I especially don't like first person PoV from a young/child character.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Yes, that's definitely a challenge in writing from first person--giving the audience enough info about the character herself. I wrote a short story in college which was a young woman writing home about a relationship difficulty she was having. I was trying to make it clear that this author was completed blinded by her love but it was incredibly difficult to do without making her sound like an idiot.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I finally read the book and I did like it. I agree the romance was a bit too fast and they were too needy rather than in real love. But I liked it enough to try the next one in the series.

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I lucked into the second novel either at a used bookstore or via BookMooch (can't remember off the top of my head). I'll read it ... eventually. :)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I've requested it from the library. I'll let you know what I think.