Chris's Reviews > The Opal Deception

By Eoin Colfer
342 pp. New York, New York
Hyperion Books for Children
ISBN 0-7868-5289-5
The boy genius is back at it again. With two years of fairy memories erased from his mind, Artemis Fowl is back to his criminal mastermind self. This time he has his eyes set on a painting that sits in a very secure German bank vault. But this theft is only the first of many adventures that Artemis takes in the Opal Deception. With trolls, gunfire, and a plot to expose the fairy world, Eoin Colfer keeps this book intriguing and suspenseful. You will have to make your self stop reading. Eoin Colfer seems to have a knack for adding one more piece of the puzzle in every chapter, enticing you to continue on. In his latest novel in the Artemis Fowl series, Opal Koboi is back-out of her self induced coma-ready to enact her revenge on all those that foiled her evil scheme one year ago. Those on her hit list include Commander Julius Root, Captain Holly Short, Butler, and none other than Artemis Fowl. But without his knowledge of the fairy world, will Artemis be able to save the entire underground world from a collision with the humans?
Some would say that Eoin Colfer is a very considerate author. I definitely would. You see, I’m sure there are people who’ve read Opal Deception without reading the first three books, so they have no idea what all this “fairy” stuff is about. Without making it as obvious as coming right out with it, Colfer “slips” the information in there. He finds a way to incorporate information from previous books into the character’s dialogue, so that the readers get at least a glimpse into Artemis’ past adventures. In Opal Deception, Holly Short, in a time of crisis, tries to jog Artemis’ lost memory to help them out of a sticky situation. Those memories include his father’s rescue and the cube of fairy technology that Artemis himself created.
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception is not without its share of themes. A major theme in this novel would have to be family. Now that Artemis Senior is back and the Fowl family is together again, Artemis the Second is torn. After losing his memory, Artemis resorted back to his life of criminal activity, but in the back of his mind, there’s this nagging feeling that he should be with his family now, being a normal teenager. On the other hand, how normal can Artemis’ life be? It could be argued that after the past two years, Artemis Fowl’s life can never be the way it once was.
While family is a very important theme, friendship is the basis of the Opal Deception. Every thing in this book revolves around friendships. Artemis doesn’t even remember Holly, but she claimed to be his friend and he felt an obligation to help her when she was in trouble. Their friendship was so strong that even when he lost his memory, he knew he had to help her. Some people think that they don’t need any friends, but everyone does. Friends are there when no one else is.
Aside from the heartfelt themes of family and friendship, the Opal Deception offers intrigue, suspense, drama, and adventure. Eoin Colfer’s style of adding piece by piece as the book goes along, traps the readers as it hooks on to your own intellect. I would even recommend reading the whole series, start to finish. Each chapter brings insight into previous chapters, giving you that “Oh Yeah” realization as you read on. If you love fantasy, pick up a copy of this action packed novel. Amidst the action, this book speaks on how you don’t have to get a reward for good deeds and being a good friend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opal Deception.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Chris, I really liked how you started bring your reader into the review. I think it's really smart giving the reader a clear start so that I get to know the character more. Your lead is really catchy and grabs my attention to the book since you mentioned so many outstanding parts of this specific book. Your voice was clear and good job with the balance between the opinion and plot! Nice tension and good job building it! I love how specific you are when choosing your words. For example when talking about “considerate author.” The theme is very strong and touching...I totally agree that everyone needs friends and that they are very important to all of us. I can clearly see that you used mentor text as a guide, guiding you through your own review. You also did a good job wrapping up the review. You did leave the reader handing at a point but to give them a final idea. I though, at first, that indicating what ages this book fits for should go in the lead but I guess maybe trying to use it as a way to wrap the review up is pretty useful too! Good job. Your review is enthusiastic and instead of a dead boring summary, your review is very lively and smooth! =]