Mary Schumann's Reviews > The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have

The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo

Aug 03, 12

Recommended to Mary by: friend
Recommended for: anyone looking for higher awareness, more satisfaction with where they actually are in life
Read from July 30 to August 03, 2012, read count: 1

I really like this book. I am reviewing a copy from the library, but will make a purchase. It's a daily meditation, the author gives a short quote or thought, then a deeper exploration of the meaning of that quote, and follows it with an exercise to do on your own, if you wish. My perception of it so far is that it simply changes the angle at which you see things and opens your eyes to a new way of approaching your life or your thoughts. It doesn't INSTRUCT you to think in any particular way, but rather poses a question or gives an example that you can apply to your particular situation. It helps guide mindfulness. I hesitated to put that in as a description because it may turn some people off, but it's a practical tool to being aware of your life. Sometimes we just need a different perspective on things. I can see that this book would not lose it's usefulness after 1 year because as your life changes the exercises and meditations naturally will follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Awakening.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maysoon (new) - added it

Maysoon K Wow, thanks for the review!