Katie Mercer's Reviews > The Templeton Twins Have an Idea

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner

Aug 08, 12

I recieved this book (for free!) through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it when I first got it. The overly self aware narrator kind of sounds like my internal voice when I let my internal voice get away from me. The first book of a new series that is about the Templeton Twins and is sort of a graphic novel but not really, a mystery with buzzles and admittedly pretty fabulous questions for review at the end of every chapter that poke fun at the directed reading/tests that are pretty common place for the targeted age group. Holmes' illustrations are fabulous - drawings, sketches, diagrams, flow charts make a fabulous addition to the book. It was reminiscent of A Series of Unfortunate Events to me - the author explains words and turns of phrases to the reader which makes it a very accessible book.

This book is in the details to me. The blue hue to it gives it a blue-printy feeling which I loved. I'm about 98% certain that the target age will be all over this book - the humour is accessible and clever, the characters are endearing and make you want to get to know them (I kind of love the over the top personalities) (especially the narrator) and it's got enough mystery and adventure to be a pretty solid read for whoever reads it. Including a parent, if they so chose, or are reading it on their own. It's a fun read.

All the above being said, I gave my copy to an 11 & a 12 year old. Clearly I'll bow to their superior opinions regarding it when I hear what they said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Templeton Twins Have an Idea.