Cameron's Reviews > Marco and the Red Granny

Marco and the Red Granny by Mur Lafferty

Nov 11, 13

Read from July 15 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Caution: May contain spoilers!

This is a short novella set in a not-too-distant future where we meet an alien race who cannot understand human emotion, but their technology allows them to capture emotions and embed them within our other five senses. Imagine putting on a bathrobe in the morning and actually smelling coffee and pancakes, or touching a painting and hearing beautiful classical music, or picking up a knife and feeling murderous rage.

The story is about Marco, a down-on-his-luck writer who's given the opportunity of a lifetime to live on the aliens' moon base and create art full time, with every need attended to, making a ton of money. There's definitely a dark side to his fortune, which he discovers all too soon after meeting "The Red Granny", a famous contestant in the aliens' version of a Survivor-like death match game played on the moon's surface. As things slowly spiral out of control for Marco, he uncovers the dark truth to the aliens' apparent benevolence towards humans and their desire to create this extra-sensory art for us.

I've always liked this author's work, and this is one of those situations where I wished I had enough dough to support them all. When she announced that for one day only she was giving away a number of her ebooks for free on her website, I had to jump at the chance. Now I just need to eke out the time to settle into more of them.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marco and the Red Granny.

Sunny I think this review contains spoilers, but good job!

Cameron Sunny wrote: "I think this review contains spoilers, but good job!"

Hi Sunny! Thanks, I added a warning at the top of the review.