Jan's Reviews > Brownies and Broomsticks

Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: cozies, culinary-mystery, dog-mystery, magic, bakeries, witches, savannah-georgia, southern-mystery, southern-setting, family
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

Katie Lightfoot has relocated to Savannah, GA. to open a bakery with her Aunt Lucy and Uncle Ben. After 3 years working as an assistant in a bakery, she is dying to be in her own place so she can express her creativity. Her Aunt Lucy is also adding her own touches that Katie will soon find are more magical than culinary. When a chance to host a luncheon for the Downtown Business Association comes up she and her family are both excited and hesitant. Excited because of the exposure the meeting will give them, but hesitant because the person who is contracting with them is Mavis Templeton, one of Savannah's meanest, and hard to please women. Though all goes well with the luncheon, Mavis refuses to pay the whole amount they agreed on and has a set to with Uncle Ben. When Mavis turns up dead outside the bakery, Ben is the number one suspect and Katie is determined to clear his name. Will her newly discovered magical talents help or hinder her in her pursuit?

I liked this mystery more than I expected to. As a matter of fact I almost returned it to the library without reading it. Boy, I am glad I decided to give it a chance. This one is magical and has a nice assortment of characters of the witchy and non-witchy variety. The Savannah setting is very nice. (I have a soft spot for southern settings). I also thought the mystery was well thought out and there was some danger to spice the story up. I like that Katie was unaware of her witch heritage until she gets to Savannah so she is just learning about her capabilities. There is just enough magic. I will definitely be reading the next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brownies and Broomsticks.

07/30/2012 page 97
30.0% "really enjoying this so far. Nice characters and location."
show 2 hidden updates…