Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Yellow Star

Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy

Dec 30, 08

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed, non-fiction, historical-fiction, biography, young-adult, childrens, poetry, holocaust
Recommended to Lisa by: Wendy
Recommended for: highly, to so many readers 11 and all the way up
Read in December, 2008

It sounds like such a cliché but I really could not put down this book, and I read it in one day; I don’t know how many hours it took but even though I read slowly, it wasn’t many. This book is riveting. I’ve read many fiction and non-fiction books about the Holocaust and this is now one of my favorites.

It’s a “based on truth” story, one of those fiction/non-fiction books.

The author interviewed her aunt, who was one of twelve children to survive the Lodz ghetto during the Nazi occupation in World War II.

Brilliantly, it’s told by this aunt in a child’s voice; she was 4 ½-10 during her time in the Polish ghetto. The child’s voice sounds completely authentic and compelling.

I like to believe that the gist of this story is true, and it’s about some very smart and savvy and brave people who were extraordinarily lucky despite their incredible misfortune to be caught in this time and place. It’s a very inspirational story and the people are extremely likeable, especially the main character Syvia/Sylvia and her mother, sister, and especially her amazing father.

It’s written as juvenile fiction but there is much straight non-fiction interspersed throughout, including the author’s notes and some war statistics at the end of the book. This book can be thoroughly enjoyed by adults as well as by young people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yellow Star.

12/30/2008 page 37
16.3% "It's wonderful so far. I can't wait to get back to it."

Wendy I'm glad you enjoyed this too. I think its "credentials" are pretty good (as well as easy to verify)--you were brave to read this right after being burned for the Angel Girl thing.

Lisa Vegan I think it's basically non-fiction too. But it's the memories of a 4 to 10 year old so... There was only one discrepancy I wondered about. At age 4 1/2 she talked about wearing the yellow star which is possible but it was required for only those 6 & up and most parents did not put it on their children 5 and under.

Abigail, I'd bump it up on the list. It was superb.

Lisa Vegan Edit: I want to say that I trust the memories of young children. I have very vivid memories of much of my life from age 2 1/2 on, but exact conversations & such do fade. In order to write it in this girl's voice I suspect that's why it's published as fiction???

Lisa Vegan And Wendy, Thanks so much. I see I found this book because of you.

Wendy My understanding is that there were different norms/rules in different communities regarding the yellow stars--I definitely remember reading about a mother who put one on her baby, though I can't remember what kind of source that was now--either an adult's or child's memoir, I think.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Mar 27, 2009 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Chandra, Go through as many as you'd like. I've perused your shelves as well. This is wonderful. I really enjoyed this book. It was unique.

Mr.original This book is complete trash. I think you copyrighted Number the Stars. This is not original. I think you wrote this at a bus stop. You should quit and write again Mrs.Roy.

David I thought this book was brilliant! Its now one of my favourites. It's a shame its not very well known.