Karen's Reviews > Colin Fischer

Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller

F_50x66
Jul 30, 12

I found this book very, very frustrating. The new trend of narrators who are on the Autism spectrum is an interesting one, and so far I've really liked Curious Incident, Mockingbird, and Marcelo in the Real World. I have been told by a co-worker who has an Autistic son that The Rules is also very good. I have been looking for a review of Colin Fischer by someone who is more familiar with that Autism than myself because, based on what little I know about it, this book was inconsistent and not really believable.

Unlike the other narrators-on-the-spectrum books, this one is told in third person omniscient POV, so Colin is not the narrator and therefore is it NOT in his voice. The writing, however, feels at times like it is supposed to be his voice...and then at other times it is VERY "omniscient," describing conversations and actions that Colin is in no way aware of. Using the sparse, blunt, unique narration style worked for the books I mentioned above specifically because they were first person and therefore the character who is on the spectrum is the one narrating. You see the world through their eyes and get a better understanding of how they function. I don't believe the device works here at all because of the POV. Also, It's jarring to spend most of the time looking over Colin's shoulder and then suddenly jump to a scene that doesn't involve him at all.

This also means that the footnotes are not Colin's footnotes. Were this written in first person, it would make sense that Colin was adding in information to a story he was telling. But he's not telling it, so the footnotes are...from the author? And why are they adding this information? Was this book meant to be in first person and got changed in editing? I'm very curious to know more about the story behind the book.

This novel was written by a screen writing team, and there are times when that is very apparent because there are devices used that work very well in movies (characters speaking to themselves) but not nearly as much in books (why aren't those made into thoughts and italicized?). Oftentimes it feels like this was written specifically to be translated into a film, which does not really serve the story.

Looking forward to reading reviews by people more familiar with Autism to get their take on the characters and the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colin Fischer.