Aimeekay's Reviews > Once Upon a Time Machine

Once Upon a Time Machine by Andrew Carl

F_50x66
Jul 30, 12

I really enjoyed reading this one. I wasn't sure at first. Sometimes I have issues with remakes of classics. But overall I think the authors and artists did a great job.
Some of the ones I really loved....Goldilocks and the Three Bears...The Tortoise and The Hare...Momotaro...The Five Chinese Brothers (even though it was sad!) , Vasilissa the Beautiful...
Well in thinking about it I pretty much enjoyed all of the stories.

I really liked that each story had different art styles. It made every story feel different. Plus if I wasn't crazy about how one story was drawn, I wasn't stuck with it for the whole book.
I also liked how they futurized each story. I'm not saying modernized because they didn't just bring them into the present day, but went into the future with all the stories. Some seemed really close to the originals and some just the bare bones of the original tales are left...but still...wow. Humpty Dumpty for example...just wow. (don't want to ruin it for you)
And the portraits between the stories...LOVED them! The Three Little Pigs-ninja style and Red Riding Hood, The Little Mermaid, just to name a few all of them awesome though!
The biggest problem I had with the book itself was that I was reading a downloaded version that I got from NetGalley and I was reading it on Adobe Digital Editions. The reason I had a problem with it was because while I could make the pages bigger I couldn't really get them to adjust to the size I wanted to and it was kinda hard to read some of the stories because I couldn't get the letters to come through clearly.If I made the page fit the screen so I could see all of it at once it would make the words too small to read. Also for some of the bigger portrait pictures it was obvious that they were two pages, but I couldn't get them to show up side by side on the Adobe Digital Editions reader.
I think this graphic novel was great over all. If I had a chance I would definitely pick up a print copy of it. However if you are only going to be able to read it on Adobe Digital Editions I'm warning you ahead of time that it might get annoying and just to pick up a print copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time Machine.