Lisa of Hopewell's Reviews > World War II London Blitz Diary, Volume 1

World War II London Blitz Diary, Volume 1 by Ruby Side Thompson

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from July 30 to August 31, 2012

I accidentally read the 2nd volume of this diary first, so this is backtracking, but well worth it. While Ruby does get on my last damn nerve moaning about Ted I do appreciate how claustrophobic marriage can become! Better she let it out in her diary. I cannot imagine living thru the years in this volume which cover the actual Blitz--the Battle of Britain.

Merged review:

Got sick of her whining about her husband, but as the editor/grand daughter pointed out she did only do this in her personal diary--not to his face and she did not write this for publication, but as an emotional release. Also that she really didn't have the option of divorce socially. Since this volume was very early in the war the blitz was the overall hardship (life and death--pretty darned important!). If other volumes are available I will likely read them. I am fascinated by the cooking of the rationing era and hoped she'd say more about what she made.

Excited to discover this is VOLUME 2! I LOVE diaries!

Got this on my kindle--so far it's very interesting. She's an "honest" observer. Interesting to read this while I was reading Philip Ziegler's "London at War."
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War II London Blitz Diary, Volume 1.