Heather's Reviews > Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Sep 29, 2014

bookshelves: historical-fiction, own
Read from September 03 to 12, 2014

This one definitely took me a little while to get rolling with. Mantel's use of the word "he" was totally confusing until I finally realized that "he" generally meant Thomas Cromwell. Once I had that figured out, the story started to move along a lot more smoothly.

This wasn't necessarily a page-turner, but it sure did keep me wanting to read. Most of what I've read about King Henry VIII and that period of history has been from Philippa Gregory's series on the Tudors, which I definitely enjoyed. Wolf Hall is a much different type of story. I really loved getting to see things from a completely different perspective. I do wish, though, that I had been more familiar with that time in history because I know that there were things that I missed in the story, things that went right over my head. The story probably would have been a little more satisfying had I been able to fully absorb and appreciate it. Overall, I felt like I did have a pretty good grasp of things, though. I'm glad I decided to stick with it. It was worth it.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall.

09/03/2014 marked as: currently-reading 3 comments
09/03/2014
15.0% "This has just been OK so far. Going to give it a little bit longer to see if it grabs me."
09/10/2014
72.0% "Glad I didn't give up on this!"
09/12/2014 marked as: read