Romancing the Book's Reviews > Fated

Read in May, 2012

Posted on Romancing the Books blog
Reviewed by Jen
Review Copy Provided by Deb Shapiro and Company

I am in no way an expert or even a regular reader of young adult books. Yes, I’m a Harry Potter fan and I’ve even endured my way through the Twilight series, but that’s really about it. I didn’t even really read this genre when I was a young adult. However, I have been silently watching the genre grow in popularity over the last couple years and have heard a lot of good things about Alyson Noël’s books. So, when I was contacted to review Fated, the first book in her new series, I was ready for the challenge.

Now I’ll admit, this book started off a little slow for me. There is a lot of world building and introducing of characters and I’d say the first 100 or so pages plodded along. But then all of the sudden everything clicked and the story just started moving and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. And when I got to the last page, I wasn’t ready for the story to be over. I want the next book… NOW.

Daire is a pretty mature sixteen year old because of her upbringing. Right from the start, we learn she’s not your normal girl. She’s in Morocco with her mom, who is a movie make-up artist, and is “dating” a young movie star. Daire has grown up around celebrities and in exotic locales. But when she seems to be going insane, she is sent to live in rural New Mexico with her grandmother (whom she never knew) and gets thrown into a paranormal world. She has to be strong dealing with all these unfamiliar forces and faces. And then throw in her destiny she has to fulfill…

As I’ve not read many books that explore Native American and Hispanic traditions, this whole paranormal world was quite unique and interesting to me. I’d heard about spirit guides and vision quests before, but Noël really explores this tradition and then weaves it into the multidimensional world she’s drawn to create magic. I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen to Daire and the rest of the residents of Enchantment, New Mexico as Daire continues in her role as a Soul Seeker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.