Tina "coffee and books"'s Reviews > After the Fire

After the Fire by Kathryn Shay

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: kindle-lendable, contemporary-romance, part-of-a-series, reviewed
Read from August 14 to 18, 2012

After the Fire is the 1st book in The Firefighter Trilogy by Kathryn Shay. Going in I wasn't sure what to expect having never read Kathryn Shay. I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised.

Megan Hale is a cop and a good person. She moves to Hidden Cove to continue being a good cop, but to also heal from losing both her father and her husband in the line of duty. Mitch Malvaso is a native to Hidden Cove and fire chief. He isn't alone in his trade. Even though they lost their father in the line of duty, he and 2 of his siblings are firefighters. Mitch and Megan get thrown together when Megan comes up with an idea to donate her father's land and turn it into a camp for the children of lost or injured cops and firefighters. This is a blessing and a curse. The blessing? The fire department and families are still reeling from a catastrophic fire (9 months prior) that claimed the lives and changed the lives of so many involved. This camp could be exactly what's needed to help everyone heal. The curse? Mitch promised himself after that fire that he would finally leave his wife and start a new life for him and his children. He has yet to do this and things are getting worse. To add to his stress he is now fighting an undeniable attraction to Megan.

I struggled with this book for quite awhile. As I was reading I really enjoyed the story and really liked the hero and herroine. However, there was this tension of would the hero cheat on his wife with the heroinne or not. The wife had zero redeeming traits. She was a terrible wife, a worse mother and an even worse human being, but I just can't abide cheating. As I'm reading the book I just couldn't get over the icky feeling of him possibly cheating and really just let myself enjoy the story. I decided to read some reviews and I noticed that one person commented "thank goodness he didn't cheat on his wife". It's kind of funny, after reading that the bottom wasn't going to fall out for me, I really loved the story.

To me this book was more like 3 novellas smashed into one book. Not only do you get Mitch and Megan's story, but you get Jenn and Grady's story, as well as a big part of Zach's story.

I highly recommend this book and personally can't wait to read the next 2 books of the trilogy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Fire.