Schmacko's Reviews > Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

Jul 30, 12

Read in July, 2012

Ok, this is cute, and I get it. Sedaris has written Aesop’s Fables for adults. Here, a “bestiary” of animals have the same foibles as humans – vanity, uncertainty, gossip, snobbery, etc.

I think Sedaris is very funny (and the last story in this is a perfect example). However, overall I was a little underwhelmed. I think I love Sedaris best when he describes a situation along with the characters involved. He did this beautifully in The Santaland Diaries (where he was an elf a Macy’s during Christmas). His stories about childhood Halloween are also hilarious, as is the story about when his sister brought a prostitute home for Christmas. Something in the balance of the situation and character sings.

Most of these stories here have animals as characters, but the situation is less comical, in fact, sometimes dull and gossipy.

The exception in this collection is the last, hilarious story. Here, a snobby, self-educated owl thinks himself better than his family. He sometimes catches prey and has them give him knowledge in exchange for their lives. This leads to this owl learning about a type of leech that only lives in the backend of a hippo. From there, it gets even funnier.

I just wish all of Sedaris’ talented writing was up to this level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.