Kate's Reviews > How to Be a Proper Lady

How to Be a Proper Lady by Katharine Ashe

Aug 24, 2012

bookshelves: boston-trashy-romance-book-club
Read from August 21 to 24, 2012

This book was a solid 3.5, but I'll give it four stars on GoodReads. It wasn't badly written or boring, it was entertaining and well written. I enjoyed the characters, and for the most part, I enjoyed the storyline. I think the characters just needed a little bit more development. They seemed to make decisions by the seat of their pants, their emotions were too quick to fire and I did find Viola and Jin to be very annoying at times.

I had admired that the author tried to write about a strong woman that lived in the early 1800's... but as soon as she started to lose her steam, to lose her authority, and started to appear incompetent to Jin, I found that the whole thing lost its appeal. She should have been harder, stricter and more confident. Her past also presented a few contradictions that I found confusing at times. I also had a hard time believing how Jin learned to be so direct and composed, act as a gentleman, based on his past, and the author never explained how he learned what he knew.

I really really liked the letters between Lady Justice and Peregrine though. When I read the invoice of all the fish that Peregrine had sent Justice in response to the mermaid, I laughed out loud for a long time. Their report was greatly entertaining!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Proper Lady.

Christine What is this "in real life" you speak of ?

Kate You know how Dunkin Donuts doesn't deliver, so if you don't have a coffee maker, like me, you have to actually go to the place to further your coffee addiction? That's real life.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Now I have Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head >.>

Christine Oooohhh, I think I get it now :D

I should probably read the book as well, huh?

Kate Haha, you probably should! It's only $4.99 on Amazon, so I am sure that the B&N price is also reasonable :D