Miss Clara's Reviews > Early to Death, Early to Rise

Early to Death, Early to Rise by Kim Harrison

Jul 05, 13

Read on July 30, 2012

This was a very short read for me. I felt like a kid but I knew I shouldn't think as such because the topic here involves greater things than dolls and toy trucks.

Here's Madison, still dead. Trying to save the whole world. Well, she's only on one mission in this book. I've forgotten all about the previous story since it was a long time ago. But I remember it was pretty good.

Anyway, what I love about this one is the conflicting ideas between saving a life and saving a soul. Apparently, if you're not human, you'd think the soul is more important than life. For us, humans, I can't generalize but I think we opt for both. I like how Nakita struggles to see reason beyond Madison's explanation about saving a life. Nakita knows only one thing and one thing alone: save a soul. To me, she's the one who seems human in mind and in actions. Sure, she kills people to save them--kinda weird-- but her reactions to the thought of losing a soul is more humane and real. I like how the author tried to blame Madison for putting a guardian angel on Ace (oops, spoiler). It makes Nakita seem more...how do you put it....so vulnerable and helpless but never hopeless.

Madison.... I can't say I like her very much. But I don't hate her. Maybe it's because she acts like a child sometimes, and I think I misunderstood given my age (I'm not too old though!) I mean, I like Shoe's dialogues here way better than hers!

Let me just quote this part:

"This is because I’m going to college? What do you want me to do?
Marry you?
People grow up! Move away! I’m going to college, not the moon! You could go, too, if you wanted!"

I nearly laughed. Mind you, it wasn't funny but it was a smart verbal rebuttal.
I also like this where he was afraid his memories could be wiped out:

“I don’t want to forget this,”
Shoe said wistfully. “I don’t want to forget any of it.”

Madison is a teenager. I get it. Her views are not of a teenager. Swell. But her conversations here or just maybe the choice of words are not quite convincing. When I read it, it's like a kid talking big to the air-- bragging. We know she's not. But from the way I interpret the mixture of her words, it feels unrealistic. What I like about her is being a goth and a skull lover. It's kinda unique for an emo to be a protagonist.

What else can I say? Ron isn't scary here too. I think Barnabas was, near at the end. I was scared when he insisted on wiping out their memories (I've written so much spoilers, haven't I?). At the back of my mind I knew he wouldn't do anything that would upset Madison but there's a gnawing part of me that Barnabas could; what he wants he will get. I'm sure the author is keeping it a secret: the real Barnabas who's turning dark. Creepy.

So, the three stars means saving a soul through killing is a pretty good idea for a plot. But the mission? Goodness, how do you call it, mundane? Maybe I was thinking more like a nuclear bomb or terrorist hijack or maybe I kept forgetting that Madison is still in high school. Anyway, I wasn't really keen to liking the mission here.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Early to Death, Early to Rise.

Quotes Miss Clara Liked

Kim Harrison
“For all his sourness, he was ruled by his heart.”

Kim Harrison
“And I’m not spying! I’m evaluating!”
“It’s the same difference!”

Kim Harrison
“Will your dad freak if I kiss you good-bye?” he asked.”

Kim Harrison
“What do you want me to do?
Marry you?
People grow up! Move away! I’m going to college, not the moon!”

07/30/2012 page 100