Donna LaValley's Reviews > Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore

Jul 30, 12

Read in July, 2012

Coyote Blue centers on Samson Hunts Alone, a teenage Crow Indian who thinks he’s killed a disgusting person and leaves the Montana reservation in a hurry to avoid the law. We meet him in Santa Barbara where he is Samuel Hunter, a consummate insurance salesman, successful, wealthy, and completely separated from his family and community. He thinks he’s left all that behind. He’s 34.

Suddenly he sees Calliope Kincaid, the lovely but crazy “girl of his dreams” and everything changes. Almost simultaneously he is confronted by his spirit animal or guide who is much more than that: he is Coyote, the trickster, an ancient God, who appears as an old Indian sitting on the sidewalk.

In every book of Moore’s that I’ve reviewed so far, there will be a sexy beautiful vulnerable girl who is crazy but occasionally speaks Truth to the central character, who is always male and single and searching for something or missing something. She will have a clever name. These 2 will have excellent sex, in this case, very soon. There will also be a supernatural character who is ancient and causes havoc that challenges the male character. There will also be self-centered peripheral characters who are just silly- or they will be violent, murderous characters whose painful fates the reader enjoys. In Coyote Blue, we also have decent but colorful people with whom Sam reunites in Montana.

On the way to Montana, the characters engage in funny predicaments in Las Vegas. There are lots of laughs in this book, which is why people read Christopher Moore.

However, here there are very serious life events mixed in with the farce and to me it was upsetting for an infant to be handled as described, for a death to occur as it did, to attempt to describe grief in a crazy comic story, and then to try to write a resurrection into the story as well, although that event was necessary and predictable.

This is better than the Pine Cove episodes but it is uneven in many ways. As before, I recommend Moore’s Lamb, Fluke, and A Dirty Job. I also recommend Carl Hiaasen, an author who may have inspired Moore, and who can write circles around him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coyote Blue.