Siew Ee's Reviews > In Honor

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Jul 30, 2012

Read in July, 2012

A teenage literature about a 17-year-old girl named Honor who skipped college orientation to go on a road trip to fulfil her late brother’s (Finn) last wish. Finn’s best friend, Rusty, joined her impromptu mission at the last minute in a drunken stupor.

This road trip brought together two individuals who, through their close bond with Finn, began to understand each other better and come to terms with their loss. There’s romance of course, but I’m glad it was used just as a necessary condiment to spice up the storyline. What made up the main essence of the book was, firstly, Honor’s memory of Finn which revealed a noble, loving brother who protected, looked after her and made sacrifices for her. Secondly, through Honor’s experiences and interaction with Rusty and various other people who came into her life during the road trip, she found peace within herself and learned to let go.

I was not totally happy with the ending because there was no concrete closure. Maybe authors believe that ending books this way not only make the story more realistic, but also gives the reader scope for imagination. Hmmm… they’re right, actually, but that doesn’t mean I always like it that way.

Will recommend this book to my teenage goodreads friends, mainly because they could all learn a thing or two about sibling love!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Honor.